At the Honors College, we want students to take intellectual risks, make discoveries, explore the world around them, participate in exciting cutting-edge research projects, engage in community-based learning and find their passion.
Fall 2020 Admissions Requirements
Most prospective WVU freshmen applying to the Honors Foundations Program for admission for Fall 2020 will meet the following benchmarks:
- 3.7 high school GPA (weighted or unweighted) AND
26 ACT or 1230 SAT (M/EBRW)
First Two Years (Honors Foundations Program)
The Honors Foundations Program is a two-year program for first-time freshmen. The program is designed with the goals of engaging and developing high-achieving students by enriching their general education, while fostering community and service in Honors, WVU, Morgantown, West Virginia and the world.
Third and Fourth Year (Honors EXCEL Program)
The Honors Experiential and Community Engaged Learning (EXCEL) Program supports WVU undergraduate students in experiential and community-engaged learning. Students will develop skills in leadership, project management, communication and collaborative scholarship. Students will create scholarly products appropriate to their project, while advancing the service mission of West Virginia University.
Students Admitted Prior to Fall 2017
Students who started the Honors College during catalog years summer 2017 or earlier were admitted to the four-year Honors program. Students in this program graduate with either Dean’s Honors (16 Honors credit hours and a 3.4+ GPA) or Presidential Honors (25 Honors credit hours, a 3.5+ GPA and a senior project/thesis/or approved substitution). Either designation also requires an application for recognition and exit interview to formally complete the program.
Academic Resources and Opportunities
- Student Academic Handbooks
- testWELL Tutoring
- How to earn Honors credit
- Opportunities for academic enrichment
- Tutoring and mentoring programs
- Undergraduate Research
- Assistance applying to nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships
- Assistance applying to graduate or professional school
- Prepare for health professional schools
- The Robert F. Munn Library Scholars Award for graduating seniors
- The Nath Outstanding Graduate Award for graduating seniors
- Completing Your Honors College Program
- Graduating Seniors
- Honors Foundations Scholars