Wondering what the application looks like? You'll need to answer the questions below:
- What is your project idea? How will you accomplish it?
- Who will help mentor you on your project? (We can help you find a mentor if you contact us!)
- Who will be impacted by your project?
- How are you prepared and qualified to work on this project?
- How will this project enrich your undergraduate academic experience?
Instructions for the WVU Honors College Application Portal
To submit your application to the Honors EXCEL program, follow the steps outlined below.
- Go to the WVU Honors College application portal website.
- Register for an account by clicking the “Register” button, and entering your
name, WVU MIX email account, and a password and clicking “Create Account.”
(Please note: if you have already made an account to apply to another program,
you do not need to do so again.)
- Sign in using your MIX email account and new password.
- Click "Continue to site."
- Click "View programs."
- Select the "Honors EXCEL program" page by clicking "MORE."
- Read through the explanation of the program, and click "Apply." This will take you to the application checklist page. This page will let you see where you are in the application process.
- Look at the task list. You will see two tasks: "2020 Honors EXCEL Program Application" and "Request Mentor Confirmation."
- Note: You must complete the application form first. After the application form is completed, you will be able to complete the mentor confirmation task.
- Click on the "2020 Honors EXCEL Program Application."
- Complete the application form. Please note: you can scroll to the bottom of the page and save your application at any time by clicking the "Save & Continue Editing" button. It is recommended that you draft your essays in a word processor before adding them to your application.
- Use the application form as a space to outline your project. Answer questions thoroughly and honestly. Note character limits.
- When you have completed your application, click "Mark as Complete."
- Note: Marking your application as complete is not the same as submitting it. Please continue to follow the instructions below to ensure your application is submitted properly.
- If your GPA is below 3.4, you will be required to obtain a letter of recommendation.
- Your recommender should be your academic advisor or another WVU faculty or staff member who can vouch for your ability to complete your project or speak to any extenuating circumstances which may have impacted your GPA.
- Use the step titled "Request GPA Recommendation" to identify a recommender. This person will receive an email to submit a letter of recommendation. GPA letters of recommendation are due by Wednesday, April 15 at 11:59 p.m.
- All students must obtain confirmation from their project mentors.
- Select the task "Request Mentor Confirmation." Click "Request a Recommendation" and identify your project mentor, who will support you throughout your Honors EXCEL project.
- The person you identify will receive an email with instructions on how to submit their confirmation.
- You cannot mark this task as complete until the confirmation form has been submitted by your mentor. You will not lose your progress by logging out at this time.
- When your mentor has submitted their confirmation, you will receive an email confirming that you can submit your application.
Log back in to SurveyMonkey Apply to mark the remaining task as complete.
- Click the "Review & Submit" button. Review your application to check for any typos or missing information.
- When you are satisfied with your application, click “Submit Your Application.”
- Congratulations! Your application has been submitted.
- If you click “Go to My Applications,” you can see your current application status. (The application status link is: https://wvu.smapply.io/prog/). You can check the application status link at any time.