Wondering what the application looks like? You'll need to answer the questions below:
- What is your project idea? How will you accomplish it?
- Who will help mentor you on your project? (We can help you find a mentor if you contact us!)
- Who will benefit from your project? How does it contribute to WVU's service mission?
- How are you prepared and qualified to work on this project?
- How will this project enrich your undergraduate academic experience?
Instructions for the WVU Honors College Application Portal
To submit your application to the Honors EXCEL program, follow the steps outlined below.
- Go to the WVU Honors College application portal website.
- Register for an account by clicking the “Register” button, and entering your name,
WVU MIX email account, and a password and clicking “Create Account.” (Please
note: if you have already made an account to apply to another program, you do
not need to do so again.)
- Sign in using your MIX email account and new password.
- Click "Continue to site."
- Click "View programs."
- Select the "Honors EXCEL program" page by clicking "MORE."
- Read through the explanation of the program, and click "Apply." This will take you to the application checklist page. This page will let you see where you are in the application process.
- Look at the task list. Click on the "Honors EXCEL Program Application."
- Complete the application form. Please note: you can scroll to the bottom of the page and save your application at any time by clicking the "Save & Continue Editing" button. It is recommended that you draft your essays in a word processor before adding them to your application.
- When you have completed your application, click "Mark as Complete."
- If you are submitting a recommendation letter, upload the letter following the instructions on the page.
- Click the "Review & Submit" button. Review your application to check for any typos or missing information.
- Click “Submit Your Application.”
- Congratulations! Your application has been submitted.
- If you click “Go to My Applications,” you can see your current application status. (The application status link is: https://wvu.smapply.io/prog/ ). You can check the application status link at any time.