Honors Foundations Program Advising Reference
What is the Honors Foundations Program?
The Honors Foundations Program is a two-year curricular based program designed to enrich students’ first years on campus. This program is designed for first-time freshmen (either incoming or in their second semester at WVU), and will complement their academic programs in their majors, while fostering community and service in Honors, WVU, Morgantown, West Virginia and the world.
13 Honors credits, 5 Honors courses, 3.5 Honors GPA, AND 3.0 Cumulative GPA
- This must include HONR 102
- Ideally completed within 4 semesters
Good Standing Requirements :
- After year one: 4 Honors credits, 2 Honors courses (incl. HONR 102), 3.0 Honors GPA, AND 3.0 Cumulative GPA
- The 3.0 Honors GPA and 3.0 Cumulative GPA are required minimum GPA’s to stay in good standing after the first year.
- Students are removed from the program if they don’t meet this requirement.
- To extend after year two: 10 Honors credits, 4 Honors courses, 3.5 Honors GPA, 3.0 Cumulative GPA
- This is based on credits and courses. No exceptions will be made for students who do not meet the GPA requirements.
How to earn Honors Credit :
- Honors sections of existing general education and introductory courses. For e.g., PHIL 100 (H01)- Problems of Philosophy
- Innovative Honors Foundations Courses on current topics, big ideas, and interdisciplinary subjects. For e.g., HONR 206A – Dangerous Music
- Honors add-on courses to modify large lecture courses. For e.g., PSYC 241 and PSYC 298B (the add-on for PSYC 241)
- Cross-listed Honors courses. For e.g., PHIL 301 (PHIL 301 – H01 – would be the cross-listed course)
- Honors peer leadership programs. For e.g., HONR 402 – Peer Mentoring and HONR 490 – Teaching Practicum
- NOTE: The Honors Foundations Program does not offer Honors credit for study abroad, internships, or undergraduate research (with the exceptions of HONR 297, or discipline specific 497 or 498 courses for a maximum of 3 credits).
Completing the program
- In the semester a student will be finishing the Honors Foundations program, they will need to complete an Honors recognition application and an exit survey.
- The completion of both forms is required to complete the Honors Foundations program.